[thelist] Client asked for original files.....

BreezyGraphics at aol.com BreezyGraphics at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 09:35:11 CST 2002

In a message dated 2/21/02 8:58:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org writes:
I was wondering on how you guys deal with a client (considering you
outsource to other designers/developers) who asked for the original
files (PSD, FLA) you created for the job you got from them...
Is it default that we have to hand the original files to them or not?
Should I ask for an extra fee for the originals?
The reason why I am asking is that handing the original files (specially
FLAs) to a client is like losing a job as the file is pretty
self-explanatory and one would learn how it was done and do it again by
oneself instead of hiring for it...

I state up front in the contract if they are included or not.
If it something I am not to worried about getting out I just charge an extra
fee, BUT...

I have some Fla's that I state FIRMLY would be tantamount to divulging trade
secrets and are in no manner to be turned over, duplicated, etc. But you must
decide this when writing up the contract. My answer to clients is if you buy
a photo from someone you don't "automatically" get to keep the camera! They
purchase my product, not the equipment. I am selling them my product not
teaching them how to do it. Breezy