[thelist] Client asked for original files.....

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 09:54:04 CST 2002

So they want you to give up your "special sauce"?

If the client wants the PSD's and original files, I would say that it is
definitely a contract issue that you should be aware of when you're writing
and signing the contract.  And if the clients want the files at the end of
the project, there should be a reasonable fee attached.

This is what is in your contract under the section header "Deliverables"

Make sure you clearly spell this out.  It becomes more difficult to discuss
this with a client after the fact.  I've sold my PSD's and other templates
to clients, but only after clearly spelling out that I would be "creating"
future templates for them .html format, .psd, and more.  This adds a few
hours to your contract, and in addition, add a reasonable fee for the
service since you're selling your original work.  I try to stick to the
percentage of 5-10% of the entire project cost and explain why.

David
www.confluentforms.com