[thelist] awards in french? (RE: High profile awards)

Mike Hardaker mike at angloinfo.com
Thu Feb 21 10:39:00 CST 2002

Tout a fait!

> Hi Mike,
>
> il fait beau dans le sud ? ;-)

(ahem! Deserves a tip)

<tip type="dumb javascript">
If you want search engines to spider your site (you *do* want that, don't you?)
don't do the same thing as the person who's recently modified a site I designed
a while back.

The new index.htmal contains this, and this alone:
---------------------------
<head>
<title>New Page 1</title>
<script language="javascript">
//tmtC_resolutionRedirect
if (window.screen){
  var w = screen.width;
  tmt_url_640 = "Default_800.htm";
  tmt_url_800 = "Default_800.htm";
  tmt_url_1024 = "Default_1024.htm";
  if(w<740){
    self.location.replace(tmt_url_640);
  }
  if(w>=740 & w<835){
    self.location.replace(tmt_url_800);
  }
  if(w>=835){
    self.location.replace(tmt_url_1024);
  }
}//tmtC_resolutionRedirectEnd
</script>
</head>

To see what a spider sees, try running this with Javascript turned off - the
only bits that render are:

<head>
<title>New Page 1</title>
</head>

Valid HTML, yes (although I'd rather use CSS than "bgcolor", myself) - but, in
essence, the entire site has been shut off from the world of search engines...

If you *must* do client-side browser detection/redirect stuff, have a <noscript>
option, at the very least....
</tip>