[thelist] OT: Slower Modems,does it matter?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Feb 22 12:25:01 CST 2002

 >But what was said to me in the conversation was the people who have the
 >slower modems don't care how long the browser takes to load what ever it is
 >they want to look at, that's why they are still on the slower modems.
 >
 >Is this a general feeling among clients and do they actually care about how
 >fast or slow the downloading of their web site takes for people with slower
 >modem?.

I tend to agree with this. Kinda.

  - I have a 56k modem (a good one, not one of those
    ones that runs slower than most 33.6 modems).

  - I'm on a T1 at work 9 hours a day. I know what
    speed feels like. Still, I have no desire to
    go faster than 56k at home.

  - When I'm online, I'm doing tons of things at once.
    I don't notice any wait, because I'm busy doing
    something else (ie. I start loading a large page,
    I go chat in IRC. I start downloading email
    attachments, I start responding to someone else).
    Multitasking at its finest. I'm never waiting.

But!

  - I *do not* think you should apply this logic to
    all your intended audience. It's simply not a
    good idea - it could be the bestest thing in the
    world but if some house husband is weary boned
    and staring at a computer complacently, a slow
    moving progress meter is not a happy substitute.

  - Likewise, I'm assuming you're sending HTML email
    (ie., if it were a plain text newsletter, it would
    have to be HUUUuGUGGGe to cause waiting). You
    should be careful about HTML email in general.
    That's a whole 'nother issue which I won't go into.

--
Morbus Iff ( softcore vulcan pr0n rulezzzzz )
http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/