[thelist] OT: Slower Modems (Emulators ?? )

Aleem aleem at mindless.com
Fri Feb 22 19:40:00 CST 2002

Along the lines of the previous discussion, I would like to know if
there are emulators or tricks/hacks to see how my page would load if I
were behind a 28.8k or 58k modem. I have often felt the need to see my
page load on a slower modem.

<tip type="designing for slower modems" author="Aleem Bawany">

If you are desigining a web site which uses divs/layers, you
should consider loading the div's containing text or the main
content first - by putting them on top of your HTML code.
This way, the main content will be available for viewing
and users won't have to sit idle while the rest of the page loads.

Another optimization you might consider is using interlaced gifs,
which add a _small_ overhead to the size of the image. The users
will be able to see a low-resolution version of the image
while waiting for the high-resolution one to load (as opposed
to having the high-resolution image loading in a top-down fashion)

</tip>