[thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing]

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Feb 22 20:14:00 CST 2002

>Jakob Nielsen says antialiasing can save you $2000 per year:
>http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020203.html
>
>But he also says the only practical way to get it is not righteous:
>http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001029.html

The guy does not exactly have a consistent world view.

On http://www.useit.com/about/nographics.html he claims that his site
has hardly any graphics because "most users have access speeds on the
order of 28.8 kbps." Hello? Even if this were true, it would seem he
wants his website to be accessible to people that don't care enough
about the Internet to have upgraded their connection in half a decade
and thus would likely have no interest in or use for it's content.

Then, his explanation of why he has no mailto: tag for his email
address (http://www.useit.com/about/whynomailto.html)

"The reason for this sub-optimal design is that I get several hundred
email messages per day. Thus, I prefer to filter my email to only
hear from those people who have something sufficiently important to
say that they are willing to invest the extra ten seconds."

I don't know about anyone else, but I've come across many people who
use the web every day but do not know how to copy and paste text ...
or at least it doesn't occur to them to do it. So ... he is making
his site usable for people with 28.8 modems but know they can copy
and paste an email address into their email app.

The funniest thing is a consistent flaw throughout his site: Most of
the articles have text that spans across the entire browser window,
making it hard for visitors with windows wider than 800 pixels to
follow which line is the next line.

Oh, yeah ... if you view source, you'll find he's A-OK with spaming
search engines. Thanks for helping make the web a more usable place
Jake!

How does such a person go about getting the reputation of a "guru"?
I'd very much like to be a quantum physics guru, and am looking for
some short cuts. Suggestions?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/