[thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing]

Robert Goodyear rob_goodyear at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 01:20:00 CST 2002

Ya know, I call this the EFA effect... the Expert From Afar, which states that
whomever is furthest away from you/your client is the most knowledgeable,
quotable or believable source.

It's interesting that once a client gets to a certain comfort level in their
relationship with you, they begin to run other people's advice by you more and
more often.

I work for a fairly big consultancy ( http://www.yr.com ) and the clients for
whom I work -- Ford and SONY specifically -- hold the Neilsens, Forresters and
Jupiters of the world in INCREDIBLY high esteem. The difficult part is when our
merry gang of really smart people don't agree with the findings of their gang
of really smart people.

So you wanna be guru, do you? Well, start writing whitepapers on your findings
and best practices and publish them on the 'net. Pretty soon, someone far away
from you will need to prove a point, they'll Google your paper up, reference it
in a presentation and BAM! you're a Guru!

Tongue firmly in cheek,

/rg