[thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing]

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Sat Feb 23 03:06:00 CST 2002

Robert,

I regurgitate almost everything you have to say, except may be for one
clarification.

    | and the clients for whom I work -- ....
    | hold the Neilsens, Forresters and
               ^^^^^^^^

I wonder if you already know that this thread was about Jakob Nielsen
(the sadly-dated and much-ignored 'Usability Guru'), but the Nielsens
you seem to have mentioned are actually "A.C. Nielsen", which happens to
be a pretty credible marketing research agency with some pretty useful
research. I work at a setup like yours (Dentsu, in Tokyo) and I've often
found Nielsen's work incredibly useful.

I completely agree with your take on how easy it is to whitepaper one's
way into gurudom these days though..

<tip type="Database" subject="Multilingual error messages in MySQL">
    Ok, this may be a no-brainer to some, but you can start a MySQL
    database daemon with a given language to view error messages etc
    in that language. Apparently, this also saves a bunch of other
    headaches during development.

    An example of how to do this:

        mysqld --language=japanese

</tip>