[thelist] Apache on a Windows box

Bob Haroche bharoche at usa.net
Sat Feb 23 16:54:01 CST 2002

>PWS works fine as a webserver of
> sorts, right?  The only reason I would really need to install Apache is if
> want to learn more about as a webserver?

I believe PWS supports only one website and all directories under it are
part of the same domain -- ie, http://localhost/sub-directory.  If you set
up client projects as sub-directories under the web root directory, any
references to the client domain's root directory actually refer one level up
to the localhost root, which is not what you want.

If you use root relative links or similar references, you'd need to re-map
your server doc root to each client's directory while you work on their
project.

Apache however lets you set up Virtual Hosts such that each client project
can be it's own virtual domain with its own root, and you can browse them
like so:

http://localhost   // web root

http://client-A

http://client-B

http://client-C

I also agree with David that there's an advantage in running Apache locally
since most of your deployment sites will probably be some flavor of
apache/nix. If you develop for both server models, you can even run both
servers simultaneously. Just set one to listen to a port other than default
80 and browse the site, for example, as http://localhost:90

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s