[thelist] dynamically creating comments with JavaScript & document.write

Thomas K. Selig thomas.selig at gmx.net
Sun Feb 24 09:35:01 CST 2002

Hey,

I currently have a problem trying to dynamically create a comment
using JavaScript's document.write. The idea is to have some lines
commented out if a certain if-clause is true.
The following lines may give a short example of what I'm talking about:

<script language=JavaScript type="text/javascript">
<!--
	Browser = Aktiv();
	if(Browser) {
		document.write("<!--");
	}
//-->
</script>

.....Code that is supposed to be commented away
.....Code that is supposed to be commented away
.....Code that is supposed to be commented away

<script language=JavaScript type="text/javascript">
<!--
	Browser = Aktiv();
	if(Browser) {
		document.write("-->");
	}
//-->
</script>

I believed that it should work like this, the browsers I tested upon
even strip the code that is supposed to be stripped but even display
"); } //--> instead of the commented text. Obviously, document.write
does not understand what exactly to write (or where to stop reading
the argument).

Any help would be highly appreciated.

/Thomas