[thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing]

BT Bigpant bigpant at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 24 18:51:01 CST 2002

>In the stylesheet http://www.useit.com/useit_style.css there's a class:
>.microtext {font-size: 10% ; }
>
>Which is used to create page content too small to read by human eyes.
>
>Clearly an attempt to subvert the efforts of search engines to
>provide relevant results.

The source for this was
<FONT SIZE=1><SMALL CLASS=microtext>
Here are some common misspellings of my name (included to help search
users):
Jacob Nielsen, Jakob Neilsen, Jacob Neilsen, Jakob Nielson, Jacob Nielson,
Jakob Neilson, Jacob Neilson, Jakob Nilsen, Jacob Nilsen, Jakob Nelson,
Jacob Nelson</SMALL></FONT>

This is just smart stuff. I think 'subvert' is a bit awry. He is simply
optimising his site for the maximum effect. I would treat him with more
suspicion as a web guru if he had missed these simple tricks of the trade.
Cunning, sly, manipulative yes, but subversive, no. At least he makes an
effort to explain what he is doing.

Phil Parker