[thelist] PWS as a Webserver

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Mon Feb 25 00:55:00 CST 2002

On 25 Feb 2002 at 0:09, David Kutcher wrote:

> I'm starting to feel like a broken record, so this'll be my last post
> on this subject.

Does this qualify as a FQA rudy?
http://rudy.ca/fqa.cfm

Apache parses all CGI scripts for the shebang line by default and there's all
the info you need in the httpd.conf file you could want to get any special
mod_ programs installed and how it works with Windows.
Everything what David says be true, Apache serves up the web:
http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/

Simply makes sense to install Apache and learn a bit about it if you are
going to be developing for the web. Running it as localhost gives you almost
everything (no email?) without an internet connection that you would be
getting over the web.

> Please, install PHP Triad.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/phptriad/
>
> Apache, PHP, MySQL all configured on an easy to use installer.  Stable
> as hell.  Even lets you host multiple sites with apache's virtualhost
> containers.
>
> And I believe it even has mod_perl installed.
>
> I'm sorry, but it's simply the BEST solution out there.  Whether you
> need a little apache/mysql/php development platform or just want to
> learn how to develop for the web.  Why open yourself to bad practices,
> security holes, and more by turning on/installing PWS or IIS and Front
> Page extensions?
>
> And there is simply no reason/need to wait for apache 2.0.  It's not a
> Microsoft program;  You don't have to wait for them to reach a 3.0
> state before it's worth purchasing.
>
> David
> www.confluentforms.com

My additional $.02