mozilla keywords / up a directory (was Re: [thelist] [penalty tip] for getting OT)

erica trajecting at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 05:07:07 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aleem" <aleem at mindless.com>

> great tip rudy.. I use that one too. Along those lines, here's one that
> I use and
> can't imagine doing without - the IE quicksearch tool:
>
> http://cryo.gen.nz/articles/ie/search/

After upgrading to IE6 (whenever that was :), I returned to the IE web
accessories page to find this message:

    Note: These Web Accessories are only for use with Internet
    Explorer 5x. To learn more about the technical updates in
    Internet Explorer 6, read the What's New page.

I was sehr sad to discover the quicksearch shortcut was no longer
available...so I started using the mozilla daily builds hardcore.
Mozilla/Netscape 6 has a feature which allows you to define keywords to
bookmarks:

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/keywords.html

So, in addition to the quicksearch feature, you can also shorten urls (for
things without their own domain or searches that will never change - like
weather or traffic on a given route).

You can also assign them to javascript bookmarklets!  This makes things like
"up a directory" or "blog this!" muy cleaner if you don't like having the
links clutter up your personal toolbar.  Now if only tabbed browsing worked
properly :)

erica

--
http://pwen.com/