[thelist] Always use a DOCTYPE (was: Horizontal scrollbar in IE 6.0)

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 13:22:01 CST 2002

> >> Removing either the DOCTYPE (or the link to the DOCTYPE) means that the
>browser has no set of "rules" to adhere to when rendering the page.

>>Not entirely true: they render the page in 'quirks mode'

>... which is browser-specific and highly unreliable. While using a DOCTYPE
>will influence Javascript, making sure that the Javascript is "valid" (i.e.
>that it will work in current and legacy browsers) is a step forwards.

No, sorry, that's not true. Doctypes have nothing whatsoever to do with
JavaScript, valid or non-valid (and what does "valid" mean in JavaScript
anyway?).

Which is why IE6's apparent strange behaviour irritates me (haven't yet done
solid research, BTW, I just know that a problem *did* exist a few months
ago).

ppk