[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

Olly gnarly at punkass.com
Tue Feb 26 07:24:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <jay.blanchard at thermon.com>
Subject: [thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

As a fairly recent multimedia graduate, I thought I would go through this
lot...

> No one knows what SGML is.

I learnt that at College.

> GET is a web request to the browser, where POST sends info to the server.
> (They all said this.)

I still dont know this one.

> They knew what CSS was, for the most part, but it was easier to use FONT
tags.

I learnt the concept at college, but used font tags until I reached the real
world.

> None had ever heard of "valid HTML", not even the concept of validation
was
> familiar.

I learnt about that here on evolt.

> "Liquid layout" has to do with that old JAVA thing that appeared to create
> a reflection in water.

LOL! But seriously, although I practised it, I didnt know it was called that
until I found evolt.

> None knew that a table did not display until the closing table tag was
parsed.

Not always true nowdays, but yes, I knew that one.

> Only one could construct a basic SQL SELECT statement, none were familiar
> with Data Connection Strings.

Not a clue about that one. Thats more of a developer thing than a designer
thing though IMHO.

> None attempted to employ CSS in the final portion of the test.

I couldnt have done - my course didnt tell me how to use it.

I certainly didnt learn most of this stuff until I got out into the real
world.

Olly.