[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

Miriam Frost miriam at members.evolt.org
Tue Feb 26 09:01:01 CST 2002

> example done. I do have 6 years experience in design and I did know all
> the answers to the questions Jay posted here but I still can't find a
> job because most of the jobs advertized here require a bachelor's degree
> in Computer science or something of the type...while I see graduates who
> have no idea what a DTD is or how to manually tweak their code to make
> is work properly get great jobs (which will eventually give them the
> real world experience) just because they have the right papers...

My degree is in history, and I'd be very hard pressed to find a job in that
field as I have been in advertising, marketing, and now web design ever
since. This is why most job ads are phrased "degree or equivalent
experience." (Especialllllly in such a new field as the web.) Many times,
it's left out as an understood so as to save classified linage ($). Go for
those jobs anyway.

Miriam
(who still sometimes answers the phone, "Milwaukee Journal Advertising")