[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

Paul Backhouse paul.backhouse at 2cs.com
Tue Feb 26 09:11:01 CST 2002

I think the best way to really see what a developer/designer is capable of
is to test them - it makes sense.
I myself have not got any qualifications that are job specific.
I started out 6 years ago as a PC technician for the largest Telecoms
supplier in the UK, I worked at the 3rd largest Research center in main land
Europe - I trained in Pc techy things, rebuilds, networks, software,
hardware - I got one training qualification and that was in Unix! And can I
use Unix - not a chance. But I could strip a pc in seconds!

I left that job and applied for another techincal position in another
company and I was tested along with several other candidates - I dropped one
mark and was given the job the same day.

Now I'm a developer - which Ive been doing for just over 2 years now - I am
self taught and was guided by a friend. I hand code HTML, ASP, Vbscript,
Javascript, DHTML, databasing. I still have a lot to learn (one of the main
reasons why I like the development area - you constantly learn) but I feel
confident that in a testing environment with the knowledge I have, I'd be
ok.

Just because I don't have a degree or some other higher qualification
doesn't mean I zam not a suitable candidate for a development job - most
companies in the UK are more inclinded to take on the job experience over
qualifications these days.

Thats my thoughs

cheers

paul