[thelist] Putting a stock price on your site

Andrew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Tue Feb 26 09:45:00 CST 2002

At 15:34 26/02/2002 +0000, Michael Galvin wrote:
>I'd like to put a client's stock price on his site.  The client would like
>not to pay for it.  At the moment, I'm messing around with reading
>finance.yahoo.com and parsing out the text I find, but the result is niether
>satisfactory or exactly ethical.  If Yahoo (or Reuters who supply Yahoo)
>come after my client, guess who'll get the blame.

   I've never been able to find a satisfactory free method of getting a
stock price onto a page. In at least one company that I know of, they opted
to have someone physically update the stock price page via a form, every
morning and afternoon.

   However, paid-for solutions are not that expensive, and if your client
is a traded company, they can surely afford it (About $100 a year, iirc)

   One that I set up in this manner was from http://www.corporate-ir.net/

   - http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=IONA&script=2100

   is the actual page that the company I used to work for has with them.

   HTH,
   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com