[thelist] Putting a stock price on your site

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Tue Feb 26 09:57:18 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Subject:    [thelist] Putting a stock price on your site

>I'd like to put a client's stock price on his site.  The client would like
>not to pay for it.

I'm sure they would. And I'm sure they'd rather not pay you either. But
that's not how it works.

>At the moment, I'm messing around with reading
>finance.yahoo.com and parsing out the text I find, but the result is
niether
>satisfactory or exactly ethical.  If Yahoo (or Reuters who supply Yahoo)
>come after my client, guess who'll get the blame.

Anywhere you could scrape the data from will have Ts&Cs prohibiting
you from doing it.

It's your job to advise your client of the legal position (get their legal
people
in on it - if they're market listed they should have inhouse lawyers), and
having advised them, ensure that either
1) They pay the appropriate fees (this is the Right Way and best result)
2) They explicitly (and in writing) accept liability against your advice
and
   instruct you to break the Ts&Cs.

Alternatively, make it easy to update (mmmm SSIs) and get them to have
a member of staff update it at their desired frequency (does more than
twice a day really matter?)

There *are* services which will provide a live update (normally 20 minutes
delayed for legal reasons). This would be the ideal solution.

Cheers
Martin

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.