[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (lon

Chris Ditty CDitty at email.usps.gov
Tue Feb 26 10:25:35 CST 2002

I can't agree to this enough.  I was recently passed over for an interview at a
company because I don't have any college.  A friend that works there was talking
to the manager for that position and was told that non of the interviewies had
ever heard of IMAP or LDAP.  These are guys with degrees.  It's really
dis-hearting to hear about a less qualified applicant getting the job just
because they have a little piece of paper and yet a more qualified person is
denied the oppurtunity becuase they learned their stuff working.

On a related side-note, my friend is taking a masters class in CS.  From what I
understand, the class is a joke.  On day one, the teacher asked the class if
they know what a computer was and what it was used for.  If that is the case,
then I should be called Dr. Ditty.  :)

Sorry for the rant.  Tips below......

<tip="Apache" Type="Preventing bandwidth theft.">
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.[Insert URL Here]/.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.gif$        -                                  [F]
     </tip>

<tip="Javascript" Type="Select all checkboxes">
Watch the wrap
For this to work, all the check boxes must be named the same.  In the
example below, "c_box".
document.forms[0].c_box[i].checked = true; } return false'>Select all</a>&nbsp;
document.forms[0].c_box[i].checked = !document.forms[0].c_box[i].checked; }
return false'>Invert selection</a>&nbsp;
</tip>