[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing

Alastair Murdoch alastair at cubeit.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 10:25:44 CST 2002

roger newbrook said:
>>Responding to what Alistair said, "but when people who are *qualified* or
>>put it another way 'have reached a recognised level in learning
potential'".
>>what do either of my two degrees qualify me to do? i'd really like to know
>>(within reasons ;) ). surely you're talking about vocational
qualifications
>>here if you expect a person to fulfil a role after taking a course.

I'll clarify what I meant.

the 'recognised learning potential' bit was used to describe to me what
having a degree means to an employer (they were trying to convince me to
stay on at uni).

Your two degrees don't qualify you to do anything, but they prove that you
have reached a recognised level in a particular subject which can be used to
assess your ability.

This in turn leads to the likelihood of you being able to gain and correctly
use the vocational 'real world' skills that you'll gain with your employer.

If you have to recruit someone, both have good portfolios and have performed
well in interviews, but one has a degree the other is self taught, which one
do you choose and why??

The graduate because they have proved they can attain a high level of
learning which can be used as an indicator as to their ability

-or-

The individual because they have picked up there skills by experience but
are have skills that are difficult to quantify (a bit of this and that..)

It's not an easy choice, but the graduate is the safer bet, particularly if
your recruiting new skills, since they have the qualification.

>>Also, the *real world pill* can be as bitter for
>>graduates, and non-graduates alike.

Agreed.

cheers

alastair