[thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing]

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Feb 26 11:11:01 CST 2002

Martin -

Just read what you're saying. My gripe with J. Neilson's Action Alert
on Flash is lumps me in with kids that make Mahir "Flash videos".

Flash is extremely powerful and there's tons of useful stuff you
can't accomplish any other way and more stuff you can do better with
Flash than without.

I'm upset that essay is out there and makes much of it's argument
based on statements which are untrue, and most of it's argument based
on the assumption that bad use of Flash invalidates good use of Flash.

At 11:17 AM +0000 2/26/02, martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:
>Really? Sounds like you're scratching around for excuses because
>he's raised a few questions about your best friend, Flash.

Exactly. If it weren't for the fact he may be directly responsible
for decreasing my income potential, I wouldn't put effort into
showing that he's flat out wrong about Flash and some other things.
I'm sure he makes several excellent points about many things, and I'm
not saying "If he's wrong about Flash, he has to be wrong on
everything" - which is exactly what I'd say if I used his logical
fallacy:

A has qualities X and Y.
B has qualities Y and Z.
Therefore B must also have quality X.