[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing

Alastair Murdoch alastair at cubeit.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 11:25:31 CST 2002

>>I also admire your resovle and committment to set up by yourself.

cheers :]

>>I'm actually not in the position of hiring people here but
>>i can understand the dilemma, but the irony of it is that
>>you are :) have you ever had to make the choice?

Not yet, but the one of the weaknesses in our business is the lack of a
'real' web designer.  We get by at the moment by using graphic(print)
designers and our own skills but someone who can 'web design' would be a
real benefit.

It was by looking at what was out there that made me realise that making the
choice was difficult, I wasn't impressed by some of the college work I'd
seen, but if they had they really did have the skills, could I use them to
produce the sort of work our company produces?? Or should I risk an
individual who had been designing for a few years but had taught themselves.

To be honest I still don't know which I'd choose.

cheers

alastair

As a side note:

<tip type="getting work" author="alastair murdoch">
When putting together your portfolio, take a long hard look at the variety
of work you have. Non-design peeps like me aren't impressed by a portfolio
full of sliced up photoshop images and tiny flash type. Try to have examples
of different work. Design based stuff is good, but try some content/text
based sites too. If you can make pages of information come alive on the
screen, it shows your far more rounded as a designer and that you don't
simply follow the current market 'trends'.
</tip>