[thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing]

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Tue Feb 26 12:07:10 CST 2002

On 10:20 AM 2/26/2002, Erik Mattheis said to me:
>>>= Is it necessary for ALL sites to be as usable and accessible as possible?
>>
>>Yes.  Period.  If it gets in the way of people's fun and experimentation in
>>a public forum, then tough.
>
>Ben, you're not an ad man are you?

Nope.  I'm every ad man's worst nightmare. (I send junk back to junk
mailers, I send the garbage I get with my bills back to the companies, I
put telemarketers on hold, I run every piece of spam through Spamcop that
somehow makes it through my 100 filters, I use my hosts file and default
CSS file to remove banner ads, I have a TiVo to forward through
commercials, I change the radio station to skip commercials... If I had a
rocket launcher mounted on my car, I'd get rid of billboards, too.)

>Many people find solving puzzles fun. If you can make a website that
>captivates a visitor from the target demographic and the visitor to
>put some effort into figuring out how to navigate the site, and that
>visitor spends a longer time on your site and remembers that the
>navigation was kinda weird but interesting ... then you've succeeded.

Like mlife?  It was definitely a puzzle but it captivated nobody in any
demographic.  A great example of marketing gone amuck.  I think a lot of
times, people put too much stock in "the message" or "the brand" or "the
experience" when all users want is to find directions to the office or
showtimes for a movie or a release date for a CD.

<tip type="Mac FTP Clients" author="Ben Dyer">
Transmit from Panic Software is a spiffy little FTP client for Mac OS 9 or
X which is a great alternative for people who don't like Fetch.

http://www.panic.com/transmit/index.html
</tip>

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/

     If you save the world too often, it begins to expect it.