[thelist] Setting permissions on server

Edwin Horneij edwin at lanset.com
Tue Feb 26 14:01:02 CST 2002

Hello list --

Yesterday and today I have started getting error messages when trying
to set permissions for files and folders on several different
servers. These are servers I have successfully performed this action
on before, so I am in the situation of having some scripts work and
some not.

The error messages aren't terribly enlightening:

500 'SITE CHMOD 755 cgi/env.pl': command not understood
500 'CHMOD 755 env.pl': command not understood

It's always 'command not understood'. I have tried with Interarchy,
Fetch and Transmit. Tried using the FTP client to send the command
and tried sending the raw FTP command and variations thereof myself,
not that I am any great expert at that.

I am using a Mac, so normally I would start trying to explore whether
my FTP clients are sending funny characters for some reason, but I
can still set permissions successfully on some servers. I am really
at a loss at this point, and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

-- Ed Horneij