[thelist] flash accessibility/usability

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Feb 26 18:02:01 CST 2002

>so why's the html version relegated to being the red-headed step-child?

My working theory, which seems to be supported throughout this
thread, is that some visitors prefer something that looks "cool" and
has a bit of "zip" - and others don't care about how the information
is presented, they just want to read and maybe even don't like Flash.
So when giving visitors a choice it makes sense to me to spend more
of the budget in the design of the verion intended for those that
will appreciate the design.

>build the html
>version first and then build the flash version.  oh wait, if you've already
>got the html version and it does what it's supposed to, what's the point in
>building a second version in a different medium?

My experience has been that Flash websites get more visitors. I've
even done a redesign on a website that went from 100% Flash to 100%
HTML/bitmap graphics - and in hindsight, I still believe the HTML
version is designed better. Yet hits went down with the HTML revision.

>  ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>>  information *IS* great, and should always come first.
>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
>absolutely.  that's what i'm trying to convey as well.  my point is that
>often times the ability for the user to get at that information is often
>hindered (alittle, alot, or completely) by the use of flash as the delivery
>mechanism.  in many instances where this occurs, it's done simply for the
>gee-whiz factor and not because flash is/was the best tool for the job.

So your real gripe is with particular Flash developers/designers and
not Flash in general ... what's the use of identifying a group of
"bad Flash developers/designers" ... shouldn't your gripes be
directed at "bad designers/developers" and leave the fact that
they've displayed their ineptitude through Flash as a footnote?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/