Liquid layouts and holy warfare (WAS RE: [thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing])

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Tue Feb 26 19:19:01 CST 2002

>> the problem is, how many pixels is 30-70 characters on your
>> display?  it's not the same as on mine... nor is it the same as on
>> rudy's
>
>*Especially* not Rudy's from what I hear :-)

heh, good one

contrary to what you might infer from my occasional rants, my eyesight is
okay, my monitor is set at 800x600, and my internet explorer font size is
medium

let's see if you can guess what pisses me off more -- liquid text that
flows right out to the width of the browser window (or to, say, a nice 80%
or something), so that it *might* cause long, hard-to-read lines of text
*IF* my browser window were fully maximized, which it isn't always... or a
web page that *forces* me to maximize my browser window to avoid scrolling
horizontally because the designer thinks he or she knows better than i do
what the best text width is...

FWIW, this is why non-liquid sites bug the shit out of me

;o)

rudy

yeah, i've got fat scrollbars and a fat title bar too