[thelist] Re: Mac OS8 SSI-capable server ?

George Dillon <> Evolt! evolt at georgedillon.com
Tue Feb 26 22:29:16 CST 2002

Thanks for the replies...  :)

What I'm really trying to do is use Basilisk on a PC to *emulate* a Mac and
use it for testing sites as they appear in various Mac browsers.   Probably
a vainglorious objective, somewhat limited in its results by Basilisk only
emulating a 68 - so no IE 5 or even 4.5 which need a PowerPC... :(

However...

After a bit of searching I found out about a freeware Mac server called Quid
Pro Quo.  Here's what a Jordanian website has on it:

http://www.jordanwide.com/ftp/default.asp?language=1&RToL=0

Quid Pro Quo doesn't have the power of WebSTAR, the commercial Web server
software [but] it does boast full CGI compatibility, server side includes,
AppleScript compatibility, and support for MOS and WebSTAR plug-ins. It's
well-documented (docs are in HTML format) and even provides examples of
CGIs, SSIs (Server Side Includes), and sample plug-ins to create page
counters or clickable image maps. QPQ works on any 68k or Power Macintosh.

Now, if only I can figure out how to use the thing...

Thanks again for the responses - on and off-list ;)

George