[thelist] Flash accessibility/usability - Site's Flash eMETRICS

Luc Carton luc_carton at eshopability.com
Wed Feb 27 05:31:00 CST 2002

>>>These are the people's choices:
>>>
>>>Flash home page: 62.5 %
>>>HTML home page: 37.5 %
>>>
>>>other Flash pages: 60.9 %
>>>
>>>other html pages: 39.1 %

Hi Erik,

To complete the "People's choices", it is also interesting to see what are
the "Site's choices".

I have just released a study concerning the analysis of the homepages of
100 eRetail US sites with a browser-to-buyer conversion rate of between 2%
and 30.3%.

- Only one site out of the 100 in our study uses Flash files.

In fact, this site, Williams-sonoma.com, uses Flash animation quite
differently to the way that Flash files are usually used, i.e. to replace
an animated gif!

Of course, this is a special "sample" limited to eRetail sites, but it
represents 120 million visitors and it seems that these sites don't need
any Flash to be able to sell (as it was our primary aim for conducting this
study about homepages that sell).

So, I don't say "don't use Flash". I am just trying to find what the
standard conventions the tens of millions of users who regularly make
online purchases are accustomed to.

Best
Luc

Luc CARTON