[thelist] Getting an anchored section to come right to the top.

Michael Galvin michael at sourcedesign.ie
Wed Feb 27 10:53:01 CST 2002

I have a fairly long page, which is being linked to from several pages on
the site, each link going to a different anchor in the page.  My problem is
that the client (always the frickin' client) would like the anchored section
to come right to the top of the page.  I've alleviated it somewhat by adding
a big blank space at the bottom, so most links work okay (yeah, I know, but
the client's okay with it, and I couldn't think of any other way).  However,
if the anchored link appears above the fold when the page is loaded, IE Mac
doesn't bother to scroll the page down, so that the section is at the top.

Is this a peculiarity of IE Mac, and if not, how would I fix it?

Just in case it's not clear what I'm talking about, my source looks nothing
like this:

<a name="a">Alpha</a>
blah
blah
blah
<a name="b">Bravo</a>
blah
blah
---------end of visible area in 800x600 browser-----
blah
<a name= etc

if I load test.html#b, it loads the file, but doesn't move down.

Michael