[thelist] Flash and XML feeds

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Feb 27 16:09:01 CST 2002

Once I looked at this example FLA, the scanty XML documentation that
ships with Flash will make complete sense:

Grab "A stand-alone file that reads headlines from slashdot.org"
http://www.figleaf.com/development/flash5/

To prevent you from wasting hours and days trying to figure out why
something isn't working, some bugs:

Before the 5.0 r41 release of the Player:

You have to be careful about whitespace between XML nodes:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/xml_content_type.htm

Also, there's trouble with the earlier Player where XML nodes were
always created in the root of the movie, nomatter where you want them
to be created ... maybe someone else can be more specific about that
bug, but I know I wasted 12+ hours looking for what was wrong in my
code.

The Player that you test movie with in the authoring environment has
these problems, so you have to choose Preview Movie.

At 4:34 PM -0500 2/27/02, aardvark wrote:
>so, i've heard a few people on the list chat about how they feed
>content into Flash via XML and assorted data sources...
>
>can someone forward some info?  post some links?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/