[thelist] Re: Flash/Liquid Layouts etc

BreezyGraphics at aol.com BreezyGraphics at aol.com
Thu Feb 28 00:52:04 CST 2002

In a message dated 2/27/02 4:02:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, Erika Meyer
writes:

> The biggest difference *I* have noticed is the error correction and
> maintenance aspects of the two sites.  A typo in the flash site means
> that the graphic design teacher has to go to the original files (with
> a student) find the text, edit it, and upload it again.  It takes
> days or weeks for the process to to be completed... if it is
> completed at all.
>
> With Trillium, I (or anyone with the proper password) can click a
> magic button on browser window, make the corrections right there on
> the page, hit submit, and move on to something else.
>
> Ease of maintenance is crucial in a decentralized environment like a
> college.  & also accessibility must be a priority.
>
> Erika

Erika, In Flash 5 you can load an external text file that is as easy to
update as opening the file in notepad, making the change and hitting the save
button. When Flash first came out it had all the little quirks as all version
1 softwares have. It is about to go to version 6 and will support streaming
audio/video, conferencing, e-mail and a lot more without ever leaving the
page. Sure there is a lot of bad Flash on the web but it is because people
want it and if it takes a 16 year old that knows nothing of usability to get
it on the web they do it. Target marketing is the IN thing and that group is
quickly turning into a fast paced, visually hungry younger group. It's a
wolfpack, and if we don't stay in front with the young they'll leave us
behind to starve. Breezy.