[thelist] how to plan a working day?

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Thu Feb 28 07:58:01 CST 2002

> Maybe a strange question, but I was wondering how you people get your work
> done?

Strange only because you've assumed that work gets done.

> Are there any tips or resources out there on planning a working day,

Yes, but mostly they're written by people who have time to write about
getting things done.

> As an independent, I find it important to be involved in the net, to stay
> informed, and to keep on learning things, but if I had to pay me,
> I'd prefer my computer not to have internet access.

"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labor
and there is invisible labor." - Victor Hugo

> So how do you get your work done?

List, list, list.

> How do you feel about your employees surfing the net?
> How does your employer feel about you spending time reading 150
> evolt mails
> a day?

I'm lucky in that I have proven my usefulness over time, so I get to do
whatever I think is important. But I do remember when I had someone watching
me like a hawk to be sure I was productive. Back then I was a "Marketing
Manager", and was thus also responsible for making sure others managed their
time effectively as well. Let's just say I've been to all the seminars.
Again, the best policy for time management seems to be repeated regardless
of your line of work: build and maintain a prioritized list of some sort
(whatever works for you), with heavy emphasis on priorities, and heavy
emphasis on using the simplest, fastest method possible to make your list
(i.e., avoid time management software).

Keep in mind that no matter what anyone says, YOU are the only one who can
decide what YOUR priorities are. Be aware that if you have a boss (or a
client for that matter), and you decide differently than your boss on what's
P1, you'll be fired! However, not to worry, eventually you will connect with
an employer/client that maintains your same priorities, and you will live
happily ever after.

But you might have to kiss a lot of *ss and do what someone else thinks is
important for a while before you get anyone to trust you.

BH