[thelist] ASP SSI Question

Marty Landman marty at face2interface.com
Thu Feb 28 09:26:01 CST 2002

At 09:43 AM 2/28/02 -0500, Feingold Josh S wrote:

>I need to create a script which compiles all of the different pages one
>after the other.
>[snip]
>Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this or accomplish the same
>functionality in a different way?

Josh,

I've been taking the same approach writing ASP code as I do with Perl, i.e.
to use HTML templates and then have the VB program substitute in info as
needed. This has a handy bright side for you and your clients which is that
the program functionality is separated from the look and feel.

So you could have a program which reads in a template in which you've coded
a repeating element and then read the required files and have the program
put those in place of that element. Something like this code :

Function subIn(bfr,vbl,Name)
    Dim buffer,loc,rLen
    buffer = bfr
    loc = InStr(buffer,vbl)
    Do While loc > 0
       buffer = Replace(buffer,Name,vbl)
       loc = InStr(buffer,vbl)
    Loop
    subIn = buffer
End Function

You can see the entire example at
http://feedthebulldog.com/Dynamic-Navigation/. Works best in IE4+ and NS6+
since I'm used CSS and no tables.

hth,

Marty

SIMPL(tm) Content Management & WebSite Creation
http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml
Complementary Color Picker: http://face2interface.com/WebSafe