[thelist] CF: Server Datasource Database?

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Feb 28 11:34:20 CST 2002

Frank wrote:

> We're moving our server to different boxes, and I was wondering about
> where the datasource information is kept. The paths will be
> identical, as a matter of fact, everything will be identical, and I
> thought that it might be nice to simply move over CF's datasource
> list instead of having to re-enter it all by hand. Can someone point
> to a file, or location?

ODBC datasources defined as System DSN's are automatically picked up by
CF.  So CF just looks at what the OS already has defined.

As far as moving whole CF applications, their respective datasources,
custom tags, etc. goes, if you have CF 5, there is a new Archive and
Deploy tool.  If you go into the CF Admin and click on the Tools link
(upper left hand corner of the screen) there is an Archive and Deploy
section.  You'll want to read up on it before using it, but essentially
it creates a compressed file containing all of your code, ODBC
datasource settings, custom tags, etc.  This archive can then be moved
to a new CF 5 machine and deployed.  Note, however, that it does not
move the actuall database, only the ODBC settings related to the
database.  So you have to move the DB yourself.

I've found the archive function to work, but its very, very slow.  A
neat feature that will probably be more useful in the next version of
CF.  Thus far I've ended up deciding it was easier to move everything
myself.  The nice thing about the archive and deploy, though, is that it
keeps track of everything you need so you don't get into a situation
where you move everything, make it go live, and then realize that you
forgot to move a custom tag.  So, pros and cons as usual.

Judah