[thelist] DNS config resources on Win2k

Eöl eol1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 12:37:13 CST 2002

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnswin2/

I highly suggest though using the BIND9 win32 port
though instead.

Unlike many things, DNS isn't something you can just
*wizard* and expect it to work correctly.  Its
something that you really should read up on and learn
before implementing.

But your short answer (that isn't very clear) is DNS
Servers do exactly (and only) what they say.  They
resolve names / services to ip's and ip's to names /
services.  Forward zones handle all the name-->ip
translation, reverse handle the ip-->name translation.
 Unless you actually OWN your ip space..it is doubtful
you have control over your reverse (most ISP disallow
this).

Eöl

--- Brad Miller <brad at beldamar.com> wrote:
> Can anyone point me to some good resources on
> setting up DNS on a Win2k
> server?
> I have been through msdn and they expect you to
> understand a few too many
> things that
> I need explained and they explain things that any
> moron could figure out.
>
> I am mostly looking for information on what I can
> and can't do with name
> servers and forward lookup zones.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad Miller
> brad at beldamar.com
> www.beldamar.com
>
> --

=====
Never underestimate the extent of human stupidity.
De Opresso Liber