[thelist] Going crazy w/a JS/IE6 issue

Raymond Camden jedimaster at macromedia.com
Thu Feb 28 16:15:01 CST 2002

I've got a page (unfortunately, I can't share it online) with a complex
form on it. When you hit submit, JavaScript is run to gather form
information and then allow the form submit to fire off.

Ok - here is the odd thing, on the results page, when running IE6, I
sometimes get the "The page cannot be displayed" error, which is
COMPLETELY useless to me. Obviously something has gone wrong, but IE is
being so freaking nice to me I can't figure out what the exact issue is.

Here is what is realy odd. The error only shows up if I change one form
field on the form. In other words, if the data changes, the error shows
up. The code works fine in Mozilla, and I was able to make the error go
away if I commented out one line of code:

          <TD nowrap><FONT class=label>&nbsp;<a
href="javascript:openWin('fileviewloader.cfm?file=', 'detail_report',
'width=550,height=400,toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menuBa
r=0,scrollBars=1,resizable=1')">#filename#</a> &nbsp;</FONT></TD>

Specifically, the URL in the href is what causes the problem. If I wrap
the URL with <!--- (CFML comments) the issue goes away.

So, my question is...

Why in the heck is IE shielding me from the issue? If it's some odd
parsing error I'd much rather find out what the error is.

Why would the above line of code work sometimes, and not others? Yes,
the output changes according to the form data I send. The only
difference, however, is in the # of times the <TD> above is repeated.
filename will change as well, but again, that's not the portion causing
IE to barf, it's the stuff between the "".

Sorry if this is a bit vague - but I'm at a loss to explain it any
better.

Raymond Camden, Principal Spectra Compliance Engineer for Macromedia

Email    : jedimaster at macromedia.com
Yahoo IM : morpheus