[thelist] An Informal Perl Survey

Mohammad Burhan Khalid mohammad_b at alph.swosu.edu
Thu Feb 28 23:21:01 CST 2002

Hello list :

	As some of you might have noticed, I was having slight issues with Perl
today, which got me to thinking, what is the best use for this powerful
language? What is it best suited for? I know that it has been around for a
long time, and for a while was the king of CGI based internet exchanges.
But, I wonder with the advent of new technologies (ASP, PHP, CF, etc.),
which can do pretty much the same things as Perl; has Perl become outdated?
I realize that many *nix people swear by the language, and it is used for
many reporting purposes. I had to learn it as part of my Linux+
Certification course.  I am speaking from a web developer point of view.
What are your best uses of Perl?

Thoughts? Opinions?

PS > Andy, thanks a bunch for the help with Perl. I'm gonna chew on it for
a while, and am sure will be emailing you offlist in the near future. I
went and got ActiveState Perl, and it fixed the HTML::Parser problem.

Regards,
Burhan Khalid