[thelist] broken web page

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Fri Mar 1 10:36:03 CST 2002

At 04:58 AM 3/1/2002, you typed:
>www.dittodesign.co.uk/clients/odaban/error_scrnshot.jpg
>
>It's screenshot of www.odaban.com in IE6. I'm sure the
>problem is to do with the spacer gif's used in the page but why.
>Is something disabled in the browser ?
>It uses an image preload Javascript to load the images so I disabled
>Java and had a look myself. The page loads fine although
>certain effects and links don't work obviously. Only IE6 to on this
>one persons machine, very strange. Fine for me and others in
>NS 4.5, 4.7, 6.2, IE 5, 5.5 & 6.
>
>Any help much appreciated.
>
><disclaimer>
>BTW not my design, designed exactly to the clients spec, and
>I mean Exactly.
></disclaimer>

Others have covered the highlights here. The <pre> tags, font tags and
requirements for pixel specific word wrap for the text are the big
problems. Somehow your client needs to understand that the Web is NOT print
and that the text must be allowed to wrap and to use this medium to
advantage. Trying to force the Web to act like a print publication is
destined for exactly this kind of problem..... totally broken designs.

Good luck with this one.

Best wishes,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com