[thelist] DreamWeaver: Comparing remote server to local site

Sam sam at sam-i-am.com
Fri Mar 1 11:35:00 CST 2002

if I understand you right, just doing a data comparison isn't going to
be useful - I've had this myself where synchronizations screw up because
I've somehow touched the remote files.

I don't know a way to do it fully remotely. All the ftp clients I know
just do date comparisons to synchronize.
However I do this all the time over an NT network with BeyondCompare -
which will show you mismatches in directory structures and files. You
can tweak the rules it uses to determine a mismatch including date
offsets, or content, ignore whitespace differences etc. So if you can
mount/map the remote drive you needn't download anything. Or, failing
that, download it to another directory and compare this with your local
copy.
After you've scanned through the directory tree and done some spot
checks (it has a cool file comparison tool that puts both side by side
and highlights differences) you can hit the synchronize button with
confidence.

beyondCompare is shareware ~$30 I think, from
http://www.scootersoftware.com
(no affiliation, just a happy registrant)

Sam