[thelist] Netscape 6.1, radiobuttons, and DTD

lon.kraemer lwkraemer at directvinternet.com
Fri Mar 1 13:38:01 CST 2002

I'm replying to my own question.

> VERY good point! This is the first response that has helped me wrap my
mind
> around the logic of this issue.
>
> Now if I good just come up with a suitable and generic label for this
> additional option that would convey this purpose to the user.

What would a suitable label for a default checked radio button?

+ RESET
- No Response
- Nevermind
- Fagetaboutit
- I'm taking the 5th
- Oops
- Bite Me!
- I can't decide :-/
- None of your business
- Beats me
- As if
- Umm...
- Guess
- Undo
- [a dropdown select box with all of the above]

<tip author="lon.kraemer" type="radio button groups">
Always offer a default checked radio button when offering your selections.

1. It's an obscure requirement of a standard that some UAs may enforce on
their own by automatically checking the first button.
2. You'll give your users a mechanism to change their mind without having to
reset a whole form.

(Be sure to make any necessary changes to your validation routines or post
server-side processing to account for the default selection.)
</tip>