[thelist] Where Start?/How Proceed

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Fri Mar 1 17:17:00 CST 2002

> * and then evolt at xemaps.com declared....
> > After designing Web sites for clients for nearly 6 years,
> > I've decided I must come out of the dark ages and learn new
> > stuff -- CSS, DHTML, ASP, PHP, SQL/MySQL and JS? Now I'm
> > pondering:
> >
> > In what order should I tackle which of the above

I would add only one thing to Nick's suggestion of 1)CSS 2)PHP 3)JS (and
solely based on the fact that I was asking the same question 1.5 years ago):

1) VALID HTML
2) CSS
3) PHP
4) JS

I don't say this (num.1) because there's anything wrong with your HTML, as
frankly I have not looked at your code! Rather, I say it because I recall as
I started to learn PHP then CSS and JS, I did a lot of stuff wrong, then had
to go back and redo so much just to get everything else to work, if you know
what I mean(?). I still have TONS of stuff that's not valid and/or
cross-browser compatible and is now giving me headaches. I wish I had fixed
it all BEFORE I built all of the CSS/JS and PHP around the mess.

Anyway, it's just easier to get that one out of the way first.

And BTW, maybe you could throw some XML in there!?

Good luck!

BH