[thelist] Max file size for site-wide header graphic

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Sat Mar 2 11:55:00 CST 2002

> I have spent today creating a header for my band's new site, and I have
> finally created one that I am happy with. However, on saving it, with
> the
> maximum jpeg compression I can use without messing up the image
> quality, it
> is 23.6KB.
> Is this too large? It will be used on every page in the site.

A a previous response suggested, you could cut the image up to increase
it's apparent download speed. But don't forget that the image will be
cached in the visitors' browsers after the first page has loaded, so
download issues are only a real consideration first time around. The
header images on my site, for example
<http://www.mark.ac/img/bgJungfrau.jpg>, are about 15kb to 20kb and
don't download all that slowly.

Regards