[thelist] Weird Javascript Problem

R.Livsey R.Livsey at cache-22.co.uk
Sat Mar 2 14:08:01 CST 2002

Hi, appologies if this is a known problem, or just me being stupid as Im
not big on Javascript. Should learn the DOM better one of these days!

In IE (havent tested with anything else yet) I get an error (Object
Expected) for the following code :

<script language="JavaScript1.2">
//if browser supports window.innerWidth
if (window.innerWidth)
   document.write(window.innerWidth)

//else if browser supports document.all (IE 4+)
else if (document.all)
   document.write(document.body.clientWidth)
</script>

Which really confused me as there isnt much there to go wrong!
However, If I put a document.write("some text") before everything like
so :

<script language="JavaScript1.2">
document.write("some text")

//if browser supports window.innerWidth
if (window.innerWidth)
   document.write(window.innerWidth)

//else if browser supports document.all (IE 4+)
else if (document.all)
   document.write(document.body.clientWidth)
</script>

Then all works fine!

Whats going on here?

Im working on some javascript to gather browser details to be submitted
to a database.

Cheers.

--
R.Livsey