[thelist] Javascript minimize

Keith cache at dowebscentral.com
Sat Mar 2 15:03:01 CST 2002

> >To minimize chromeless windows I send the window 2000px off
> >screen.
>
> Note that strictly speaking this is not allowed in JavaScript, a
> window must always be on the screen. However, some browsers
(IE, notably) do allow it. But remember that you cannot be sure that
this will work in all browsers.

Correct, but a chromeless window will only work with IE anyhow. It
would look really stupid to load a page with chromeless titlebar
controls into a chromed window, so I was assuming that the original
poster was using an alternative for non-IE browsers, who then
would not have access to the code for minimizing a chromeless
window anyhow.

Although I find offscreen useful in this context, and I suspect
Microsoft's support for it was aimed at the .hta rather than a
fullscreen window, you are correct that this is a security violation
(what, from Microsoft?). Recently I've noticed a number of sites that
are launching pop-ups offscreen until they are fully loaded and then
bringing them back onscreen, a method to keep people from killing
the pop-up until the advertiser has loaded his comeon. Worse, I've
seen a few sites that leave their pop-up offscreen, lurking and doing
god knows what....

keith