[thelist] Hosting and DNS Registrations - UPDATE

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Sat Mar 2 20:33:01 CST 2002

Vic and Martin (and anyone else interested in this thread)

I've done some research on the discussion we had about a week ago ... and have provided a link below for you to read. The article is written by an internet law attorney.

The last item in the lefthand column and the last 2 items in the righthand column are the ones of interest: 1) Who Owns Your Domain Name?, 2) Who Controls Your Domain Name? and 3) What To Do If The Wrong Person Is Listed as the Owner of Your Domain Name. You can click on the right arrows for a more detailed discussion of each item.

http://www.keytlaw.com/urls/urllaw.htm

>From my read on this, it's really not a matter of preference, ethics, etc. It's a matter of law. Legally, the registrant (owner) of a domain name is the client, not the webmaster or anyone else. According to the article above, apparently many web designers have been registering themselves as the registrant as well as the Administrative, etc. contact. The article encourages folks to rectify this.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Sharon

Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com