[thelist] Multiple-language sites

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Sun Mar 3 14:57:01 CST 2002

Thought I'd add a few things on this (I speak multiple languages, so I can
relate). One approach that I have seen that seems to work is to use
language files. Now, if your server/host only allows vanilla HTML, then
this might become an issue.

Some open source sites (phpnuke, for example), use translation files, which
they parse according to user preference. Again, I would echo the same
cautions against using flags. A drop down list is much better, and even
more effective method would be to provide text links in a common footer.

I would caution against being all things to all languages. The task might
seem noble, but the amount of work snowballs as you learn the minute
intricacies of different languages, not to mention character sets, and
display issues. I would suggest doing a survey in your target demographic
to assess the major languages spoken (or preferred on the net). This way
you would be better prepared to deal with your core audience.

Sounds like a good project!
Write me offlist (if you would like) for more information on the
translation files,
Regards,
Burhan Khalid

[ snippity snip ]