[thelist] Losing the WWW

hpoe evolt at webmediaconception.com
Sun Mar 3 18:58:01 CST 2002

-0600]:

>If you enter www.jamesshuggins.com/aitcom
>you will go to http://jamesshuggins.com/aitcom/
>
>On the other hand, if you enter www.jamesshuggins.com/aitcom/
>you will go to http://www.jamesshuggins.com/aitcom/

While I cannot offer you any help with this, I'm curious: does this cause
any problems on your site? Or is it just a 'cosmetic' consideration? I've
seen a lot of ISPs that can't seem to figure out how to set up their serves
to _allow_ access without the www. prefix. So, you're lucky that it's not
the other way around ;-)

>They have told me that "at this time [they] are not able to correct this",
>but that I am "more than welcome to research the different configurations on
>apache to see how to correct this".

Did they show you a copy of their config files? Apart from inviting you to
do what is actually their job, you might be able to figure this out if you
compared their rules with the examples in here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html

I'm sure someone on thelist knows better than I where to start looking, though.

Good luck.

--
Henning Poerschke           http://webmediaconception.com
+49-700-WMCONCEPT        mailto:hp at webmediaconception.com