[thelist] Multiple-language sites

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon Mar 4 15:12:01 CST 2002

Katie Kearns wrote:

> >  - We never found a reliable way to detect peoples' browser languages.
>
> Oh well! ;)

Sorry to jump into this late, but I'm working on a two-language site
right now, and downloaded Netscape 6 in Spanish and German versions
to use for testing.

Apache's mod_negotiation
    [ see: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_negotiation.html ]

seems to do a reliable job of sending a directory-level request for
to the right one of index.en.html, index.es.html, or index.alt.html
(English, the chosen default language) if the browser's language is
"unsupported" (tested with the German version).

Of course, there's a user selector on each page in case it's *not*
what the user wants, but the apache processing seems just fine.

FWIW!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --