[thelist] platform/browser check

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Mon Mar 4 20:50:01 CST 2002

On 4 Mar 2002 at 21:10, Andrew LaVallee wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just re-launched my client's site after another company did the
> first version. I only had access to a subfolder that the content pages
> were in, and I've been told that it's not loading correctly on AOL and
> Netscape (you should see an ugly intro followed by a blue homepage).
> Can you check it out, and if you see any errors, any ideas what the
> problem is?
>
> http://www.ninezerohotel.com/
>

> Thanks,
> Andrew

Loaded fine for IE6 and NN4.7 but after switching to NN6.2 it took forever to
get past this URL to finish the page loading:
http://s12.sitemeter.com/stats.asp?site=s12ninezero
I thought it wasn't going to load at all, left it running and went back and it was
finally there. AOL has it's own special little set of problems, culled from the
tip list:

AOL_Compatibility
Author: deke; 26-MAR-01
  <tip type="AOL Compatibility"> AOL doesn't screw up your GIF files if they
are animated. You only need to animate one pixel - which adds *very* little to
file size - to accomplish this. </tip>

aol_image_display
Author: nsteiner; 08-AUG-01
  <tip type="aol image display"> You can sometimes get better results with
AOL's proxy/recompression of your images by re-saving graphics that prove
to be distorted as progressive JPGs (rather than regular JPGs or GIFs).
</tip>

Coping_with_AOL
Author: Seth_Bienek_-_Web_Consultant; 04-APR-00
  <tip type="Coping with AOL"> AOL has a website that functions for the sole
purpose of 'educating' webmasters on coding for AOL compatibility.
Incidentally, it runs on ColdFusion. http://webmaster.aol.com </tip>

Testing_/_Debugging
Author: Theodore_Serbinski; 01-FEB-00
  <tip> If you seem to be getting complaints about your site not working with
AOL or are just curious as to as why AOL has so many problems, check
here: http://webmaster.info.aol.com/ </tip>

HTH!

	Mark Groen

MG Web Services